Monday, July 21, 2014

Random Thoughts 7/21/14

  • I was stunned when I asked my Sunday School class, comprised of two dozen adults of various ages and backgrounds, and only one person (other than my wife and me) had seen the movie Citizen Kane. This is arguably the best movie ever made and has been readily available for 70 years.  It's #1 or #2 on virtually every list of great films.  I'm afraid to admit that I live in a world where people have watched nine seasons of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" but have not seen Citizen Kane!
  • We took a family vacation last month that was both enjoyable and refreshing.  We drove 3400 miles through Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and South Dakota.  I'll blog more about that separately. 
  • We are new subscribers to Netflix and I'm so impressed.  There's certainly an ocean of stuff on there I have zero interest in but there's one particular item I've really enjoyed.  The compete 11-season series of "Cheers."  My mom and I used to watch "Cheers" reruns together every night when I was in high school.  It's one of the funniest shows ever on television and now I can watch them all again at my convenience.  
  • Along the same lines, the one thing I would add to Netflix:  "M*A*S*H"
  • My wife has lost her wallet twice in the last two weeks.  Both times she got it back and both times she didn't lose a single penny.  God is good and, even when she's unusually absent-minded, Shannon is blessed.
  • While I was gone on vacation, KU basketball star Andrew Wiggins was drafted first overall in the NBA draft and teammate Joel Imbiid was drafted third.  This is huge publicity for the program but things got even more interesting after that.  The Cleveland Cavaliers, who drafted Wiggins, then signed hometown hero and best player on the planet, LeBron James.  If Wiggins plays alongside James, that means he'll almost certainly be in the NBA playoffs every year from the beginning of his career.  I say "if," because there's a chance that Wiggins may be traded from Cleveland to Minnesota to help James build the team he wants.
  • One more Cleveland Cavaliers note:  Cleveland apparently contacted KU coach Bill Self about the coaching job there.  Now Cleveland may not have formally offered him the job, or Self may have turned it down, we don't know, but Self could have potentially gone to the NBA with his star player, Wiggins, and then ended up "coaching" LeBron James.  This would be most coaches' definition of a dream job.  If Self had the forethought to see those pieces coming together, was actually offered the job, and still turned it down… then that proves that Self is committed long-term to Kansas.


No comments: