Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Random Thoughts 11/11/08

  • May God bless our veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much. And happy birthday, yesterday, to the United States Marine Corps, 233 years young.
  • This is the 90th anniversary of the end of World War 1. Good WW1 movies: Paths of Glory (1957), All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), The Blue Max (1966), Sergeant York (1941), The Lost Battalion (2001).
  • Have you heard about the guy who launched his iPhone in a model rocket? It recorded accelerometer data and GPS coordinates in 3 axes. Geek out on it here.
  • I had a surprise at work today. I normally sit with my feet under my chair, but I kicked my feet forward and ran into something. Lo and behold, there was a object in a black, plastic trashbag under my desk. I pulled it out and it contained a brand new Wii Fit balance board. Hmmm. Is this a gift? Was someone hiding it under my desk? How long was it there? Days? Weeks? I'm still not sure what to do with it, there's no card, no receipt, nothing. If it's a gift I'm very grateful; but if it belongs to someone else, they better identify themselves quickly because we'll gladly put this to good use.
  • The funeral home I worked with Friday had some misspellings in the little handout they printed. They misspelled the name of the deceased as well as my name, in addition to giving me the wrong title (I don't use Rev. and specifically asked them not to use that). Oh, well. It just so happens that a few years ago the same funeral home, serving the same family, famously misspelled Jarod Anderson's name as Harold Andersopn, which has become his nom de guerre.
  • Gasoline is selling at $1.87 down the street. My that looks cheap; does anyone else feel like a road trip? We have a friend who said she would dance in the street if gas ever fell below $2 again. I'm still waiting for the photographs.

No comments: