Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Random Thoughts 12/2/09

  • If you think that a scientist is an impartial, unbiased individual who couldn't possibly tell the public anything other than the plain truth. READ THIS ARTICLE: "Why Scientists Lie…". I'll blog separately on that in a moment…
  • Yes, AT&T is the worst major cell phone privider… and there's proof. But I still love my iPhone. Now the rumors are that Verizon won't have an iPhone until as late as 2012. If there were competition between providers for the iPhone customers, AT&T's service would have to improve (or they'd lose all their business).
  • The home computer we were desperate to get last summer will finally arrive soon. We had the money saved but the the washer and dryer went kaput, so the new computer went on hold. Now we're back at the point that we can finally get that new iMac and Shannon and I are really excited!
  • I decided to wear my lunch yesterday. I was sitting in my office and with a bowl of soup that was too hot to eat, when suddenly… AHHH!!! I somehow dumped it right in my lap!!! What a miserable mess.
  • The President does not want to win in Afghanistan, he wants to leave as soon as possible without upsetting too many people. It's embarrassing how "beta male" he is, trying to make everybody happy and get everybody to like him. Guess what, it's not working.
  • We had a baptism last night at church, just a small family affair. It was nice. I hope that folks understand that there is no law that requires all baptisms to be performed in front of a crowd of hundreds on Sunday mornings, only.
  • I sure like what I've seen about college football player Tim Tebow. I hope he gets a chance in the NFL (he's doesn't fit the mold perfectly of a pocket passer QB).

1 comment:

Dustin said...

It IS a little disappointing.

I've had at&t for 9 years, and I was the one bragging to everyone else about how my phone never dropped calls and my service was as near to perfect as you could expect. Billing was easy to understand, plans were better than other carriers, customer service always went out of their way to make things right if there was an issue, and alas, I had ROLLOVER minutes.

Today, it's still mostly true, with exception of my service. I still have more coverage in more places, but the call quality and dropped calls lately have been a little frustrating. Alanna does NOT have an iPhone, and her service quality has remained the same, not suffering from the same problems that I have had. The only complaints I have ever heard about service from at&t were people with iPhones... And all of them have universally agreed that they loved their iPhone too much to change.

If the only complaint is an occasional dropped call, then I am staying very positive that things will change, and quickly. at&t is aware of the network issues that they are having, and I bet their network gurus are scrambling to fix it as quickly as possible. They know exactly how many dropped calls are happening, and I believe that they are willing and able to fix it. It just takes time and money, and at&t has both, especially with iPhone exclusivity. They won't admit to having network issues publicly, but behind the scenes they know they've got to get it fixed, and fast. They're not stupid.

Finally, I believe that the main cause for all of this is the overwhelming popularity of the iPhone. Apple has had huge success with the iPhone, and at&t was the poor chap that chose to let their network get overrun with them. Any other carrier that would have chose to be the startup provider for the iPhone would have had the same network issues, or worse. Apple chose at&t because they knew that at&t had the resources necessary to meet the network demands (and partly because at&t sold their soul by giving Apple what they wanted: revenue sharing from the monthly billing.)

In the end, everything will get better, or like you said, they'll start losing customers. They'll fix it, it's just matter of when, and whether or not the customers will have enough patience. But either way, I plan to stay put because, well... I love my iPhone.