Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple's New Tablet Not For Me?

Apple announced it's new iPad tablet computer. I haven't watched the video yet, but following keynote live I was really underwhelmed. Is it an iPhone that can't make phone calls and has no camera? Is it a laptop with less muscle than my almost-four year-old MacBook? How is this device magical or special? After reading the keynote and looking at the pictures, I don't get it yet.

I'll read more about it, watch the videos, go to the Apple store and play with one… but I have a sinking feeling that this device won't do me any good at all. I have a phone. I have a laptop. The iPad won't combine the two, it will just be a third device to carry around.

A tablet doesn't do me any good unless it (at least) replaces my laptop.

This is shaping up to be a disappointment for me.

No comments: