Friday, January 08, 2010

What an Insensitive Dork

So I'm at a visitation in the funeral home, standing near the family and maybe three paces from their dear, departed loved one. People are speaking in hushed voices, emotion is roiling near the surface.

Suddenly the somber silence is broken by Weird Al Yankovic's rap song, "White and Nerdy." In shocked horror I realize it's my cell phone buried deep in one of my coat pockets. Normally, when I'm "on duty" I turn my phone off; that's my routine. But this night, I'm simply visiting the bereaved family as a friend… a friend who's phone ringer is set to "max volume."

So somewhere in the second verse of the song, and with everyone's full and undivided attention, I finally get my hands on the phone and shut it up. Ugh. Some people just don't know how to act around a grieving family!

I'm so sorry.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're too hard on yourself. Unfortunately it's a common mistake and not one you ever make. I'm sure Christi and Carol were glad you came. I love you.

Dustin said...

You should watch this again, then you'll never worry about making that mistake in the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFuq01NvEnA

Christi said...

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice. And we don't think you're an insensitive dork. :-)

Anonymous said...

We didn't notice either, if we were there yet. And.... we don't think you are insensitive at all. :)