Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Random Oscar Thoughts, 2010

  • From my Facebook status Sunday night: "The Oscars saved money on joke writers this year… must have hired junior high boys." How on earth does Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin come off that canned and stiff?
  • I watched the Oscars on tape delay (thanks to my DVR) after I got home from Bible study. I was able to skip a lot of the acceptance speeches, the commercials (except for the Apple iPad commercial–watched that one twice!), and a lot of the music.
  • The producers main goal was to come in on time… they missed by about an hour.
  • I thought this year's show was a huge letdown. It was over time, had lots of mistakes, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were horrible, the humor was unusually crude, and the show was slow.
  • What was up with the uncomfortable silence directed at George Clooney in the opening? If that was an inside joke, I missed it.
  • When Tom Hanks hurriedly read the best picture winner, I almost missed it. Has anyone heard of a drum roll?
  • Thank goodness Avatar got put in its place. It won three technical Oscars but lost Best Picture and Director, which in my opinion it just doesn't deserve. If it had won, Avatar would have one of the weakest stories of the 80+ Best Picture winners.
  • I was a fan of The Hurt Locker, and I'm eager to see The Blind Side.
  • Here's a rundown of the winners from Sunday night.

No comments: