Thursday, July 18, 2013

Random Thoughts 7/18/13

  • Pro tip for husbands: when your wife is trying to do something creative, you have no right to an "opinion," your sole purpose is to express unconditional love and support. 
  • Do you want to see extensive footage of Wilt Chamberlain playing for Kansas in the 1957 NCAA tourney?  The impressive highlights and a short article are here.
  • Andrew Wiggins is the new top-rated basketball player coming to Kansas University.  Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is the main character of Orson Scott Card's classic sci-fi novel Ender's Game, which is also being made into a movie to be released this November, at the beginning of the basketball season.  Ender's Game is about a genius young boy who is trained to be Earth's strategic leader in a war against aliens.  Ender's genius is that he is virtually unbeatable in war games and simulations.  If KU's "Ender" proves to be anything close to "unbeatable," surely Kansas fans will make the connection.
  • By the way, I finally read Ender's Game this summer.  What an impressive book.  I'm not, however, optimistic the book can be translated into a movie; the author once stated it would be impossible to put on film.  Go read the book.  
  • I hate to sound like a old farmer, but we need rain.
  • Detroit went bankrupt today.  I fear this is going to get worse before it gets better.
  • I sat out playing basketball this week because of my knee.  I hate missing it; but I promised my wife I'd take the week off.

No comments: