Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Hobbit

After watching The Lord of the Rings, I couldn't help but wish that Peter Jackson would film The Hobbit as well. [The Hobbit is the tale that comes before The Lord of the Rings.] Turns out I'm not alone.

Banner


I'm confident that if Peter Jackson is involved The Hobbit will be a great movie. But it seems that there is an obvious approach to making the movie I hope he'll take. The story is about Bilbo Baggins as he goes on an amazing adventure, but –and this is key– it's a story told by Bilbo himself.

I think the movie would benefit greatly by having Bilbo, safe at home, tell the story to a group of children (including a young Frodo perhaps). Not only would this insert a good deal of humor and showcase Bilbo's eccentricity, but it also serves as a device to explain the differences between and The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The former is more a child's story, more fanciful and less serious than the more adult saga already on film. To make a completely serious film would not be true to the source but to make a kid's movie would not fit the expectations of most Rings fans.

The explanation would be that Bilbo's actual experiences are being somewhat edited for his young audience. Scenes could even change in tone as Bilbo modifies his story, guided by the reactions of the children and the sound of his own tale.

I feel that Peter Jackson is thinking along the same lines based on interviews I've read, but he's not said so to my knowledge. Here's hoping.

No comments: