Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Oxymoronic

My word-of-the-day was oxymoron. Along with the standard definition and etymology, they gave an example:

"It was a pretty ugly situation: we were alone together with a pitcher of beer almost exactly half full listening to soft rock. I was half naked in a pair of tight slacks and Lucy wore a pair of slack tights. Suddenly we had an urge for some jumbo shrimp but when I put on my plastic glasses to look for them, we found our car keys missing."

Amusing.

Other favorites include a fine mess, freezer burn, British cuisine, and Microsoft Works. There are pages that list this sort of thing (like this one and this one).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is seriously funny, Jared!

I was clearly confused when I first read that example. But upon further review, it became fairly obvious where the oxymorons were. I'm almost positive that there were 11.

Thumper said...

Eleven was my count.

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on... My comment was a little funny!