Monday, July 17, 2006

Unwanted

It's interesting that as a Christian, and specifically as a minister, there are people who just assume that I'm a narrow-minded, judgmental bigot. They just assume that I'm going to light into them the first chance I have, harping on all the things they ought to change. My very presence, before I've said or done anything, will sometimes evoke a sharp, hateful reaction in people and it's not unusual for me to be left standing slack-jawed, asking what happened.

In one sense those people are right. I do judge them… at least so far as I've come to a conclusion about the entire human race, including myself: we're all sinners. I'm under no delusion that somebody alive today walks on water and has never done something regretable. In counseling people have been surprised that I've not been more surprised at their confessions of regrettable acts in their past. No big deal, I say, I already assumed you were a sinner, like me, in need of a Savior (and you're gonna have to do better than that to shock me!).

The disdain directed at me doesn't take into consideration that I see myself as one of the offenders. If they indict me as "holier than thou" then they have completely misunderstood. I'm just one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.

They also don't understand something I've experienced: God's Grace. Everyone should be offered consideration and mercy as a person, no matter where they currently stand. I'll not throw the baby out with the bathwater nor will I dismiss or be easily dismissed.

But some won't have it. I wish it wasn't so.

No comments: