Friday, July 07, 2006

Random Thoughts 7/7/06

  • I'll be gone next week to do Church camp again. It's a combined senior high and junior high week where I'll be preaching each evening. Shannon and the boys are going with me and I'll have more time during the day to spend with them this time around. But I won't have internet access again from Sunday until Friday evening, so it's highly unlikely that I'll post anything during that time. But you never know!
  • I should reach 16,000 hits sometime Saturday. Thanks for reading!
  • The Air Force officially named the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. It's now the F-35 Lightning II. It seems like the compromise choice – it's neither too offensive nor too belligerent for our allies' tastes and adds some nice historical ties to an earlier era. I don't think I like it but I suppose it'll grow on me. That and I'm confident that the pilots will rename it informally. Another thought occurred to me: if the Air Force demonstration team, the Thunderbirds, continues beyond the era of the F-16, then they will almost surely be flying F-35s.
  • Wouldn't the contempt and disdain for Enron's Ken Lay after his death have been more appropriate for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi? When Zarqawi died there was a lot of mixed feelings and everyone was careful not to gloat (well almost everyone), but I've heard more disparaging remarks about Ken Lay since he died than I can count. Some people are almost gleeful. Sure the guy was ultimately responsible for losing a lot of people's money, but that can't be as bad as cutting heads off, is it?
  • Speaking of terrorism, a plot to blow up New York's Holland Tunnel was uncovered. But the "masterminds" of this scheme wanted the blown up tunnel "to flood Manhattan like Katrina flooded New Orleans," which is of course above the tunnel. Can you be a criminal "mastermind" and not know that water won't flow uphill?
  • My Sunday School class is starting on the book of Hebrews. We did introductory material last week and will start chapter one Sunday. Hebrews shows how Christ is better than what we had under the Old Covenant. It's a fascinating story.

No comments: