Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Things I Believe

I thought I'd sit down for a few minutes and clarify my position on what I feel is important:

  • I believe in Truth. Emotions don't get a vote when it comes to what is or is not.
  • I believe in God. The burden of proof belongs to those who deny what every child in every culture knows innately.
  • I believe this world is not an accident. Beauty, justice, unconditional love, and mercy are evidence of this, even in their scarcity.
  • I believe this world is grievously broken. But don't blame God; "broken" necessarily means it is NOT functioning as designed.
  • I believe it is not arrogance to know the location of the fire escape in a burning building and to assert it boldly. It's compassion.
  • I believe that only Jesus Christ can reconcile you to God. Only Jesus was able to satisfy Divine Justice and show God's mercy in the same act. Only Christianity addresses and answers this dilemma.
  • I believe in asking questions. Christianity is perhaps the only religion that routinely converts skeptics who investigate the facts.
  • I believe that Western Civilization has been superior to every other civilization in history. It has largely been the only place in the world where individuals could own property, have a say in government, and practice their faith freely. In times when the West has not been this way, it's been like the rest of the world.

I may expand on some of these later, but I'm hoping this will be enough to open up some dialog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially like the first one: TRUTH. I blows my mind how people can believe in "relative truth". You almost have to be oblivious to reality to believe that truth is relative. It's true and obvious in everything.

The last one was interesting. Although I agree that the Western Civiliation is superior in many ways, it would be interesting to see how other people around the world (or even in our own country) would react to that statement.

Hoodlum said...

"The burden of proof belongs to those who deny what every child in every culture knows innately"?

Nice logic there, given one cannot prove a negative. Also, aren't you the one making the outlandish claims regarding the existence of all powerful invisible things that rule our life?

Also, all children do not inmately believe in God. That's why children of atheists are atheists, while children of Muslims are... Muslim, the same for Jews. In fact, most people stick with the religion of their parents, with a some becoming atheists or adherents to a different religion.

Finally, when discussing Christianity, it helps to identify which of the over 33,000 sects you are discussing, for purposes of clarity.