Friday, November 23, 2007

The Anderson Gun Club

We spent the afternoon Thursday shooting. We fired shotguns and rifles and pistols, many of which I had never used before. The pistols included a Luger, a Smith and Wesson 9mm semi-automatic, and two .357 Magnum revolvers. The one .357 rung my ears like no gun ever has – it was so intimidating that I was actually cringing as I pulled the trigger, shooting low each time. We also fired several shotguns and rifles including a .30-30 lever action and a 20 gauge double-barreled over-under amongst others.

I particularly enjoyed shooting blue rock (or skeet or clay pigeons depending on where you're from). I was using a pump action 20 gauge and blew through two boxes of shells in short order. For someone who only shoots once every two years, I feel pretty confident. But I wouldn't want to admit how many targets landed in the field unscathed.

I had Brennan (7) and Tanner (nearly 6) join me so they could shoot a gun for the first time. Our hosts had a small bolt-action single shot .22. I repeated my lectures on gun safety to the boys and showed them how the gun was operated. They each took several shots, inserting the bullet, working the bolt, taking aim, firing, and working the bolt again. They each did great and Tanner kept the tiny casings as souvenirs.

Brennan even fired the Luger. It was a small .22 pistol and, with me supporting him from behind, he could handle it easily. At one point he fired several shots in rapid succession and I scolded him in his ear, "You're supposed to be aiming, Brennan!" He replied with glee, "I'm too busy shooting, Dad!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of these days I will take you out to shoot my Glock and shotgun. Mike

Anonymous said...

I have a 12 gauge, .300 Win Mag, and a .338 Lapua(which is the M40A4 for you military buffs), it is the new sniper rifle used in most of the military now. It is used because of the non-belted cartridge which can pierce body armor at over a 1,000 yards. You should feel the kick and sound of those rifles.

Chad

Thumper said...

We've been saying for years that we ought to have a church blue-rock shoot. We did that at Rushville before I left and had dozens of guns of almost every variety. It was great fun.

The key problem is location.

Dustin said...

... how about the church parking lot?

Thumper said...

"... how about the church parking lot?"

Still in the city limits; sorry.