Wednesday, November 07, 2007

No. 2

Where can I go to find a pics of vintage brand name pencils? Write here.

Now you too can browse through images of hundreds of pencils you may have used in grade school. It's funny how you'll feel when you recognize a certain design and remember how it felt, the smell and feel of sharpening it, and perhaps even the taste of it (for those of you who struggled with that).

I never ate my pencil erasers or chewed on it, though I certainly saw a lot of kids who did. I was the kid who liked to empty the metal pencil sharpener, sometimes grinding down half of a pencil just to generate more shavings. It was a wonderful excuse to get out of my seat, destroy something, make a mess, and then return to my desk without actually doing anything wrong.

Hmm… grade school: hours of mind-numbing boredom, the seconds slowly whittling away waiting for recess, watching glue dry, picking apart pink erasers, and sharpening pencils. Yuck.

Of course, nowadays, instead of no. 2 pencils, you might get a laptop. Over 5000 MacBook laptops are being given to students in KCK publics schools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you sharpened the correct end of the pencil. I had a kindergarten student who liked to stick the eraser end in the sharpener. We had two new sharpeners that year in our classroom thanks to him.