Saturday, May 02, 2009

First Crash

For the first time that I can think of, my three year old laptop, a 2 GHz Intel Core duo MacBook, actually crashed.

When it happened I was so stunned that I leaned in, squinted, and tried to make sense of the message that told me to restart the computer. Really?! I have to restart? But I've not done that in years!

In almost nine years, across two laptops, I can count the number of total-restart crashes on one hand. Oh yeah, I've also had exactly zero computer viruses in that time as well.

The negative end of things is that my MacBook is not holding up as well as my virtually immortal iBook. That thing lasted me six years of daily use and abuse before it finally died. Though it works fine, my MacBook is beginning to show signs of age and more general wear and tear then I wanted it to at this stage. My hope is to make it last 4-6 years before replacing it.

How long do you expect a business laptop to last?

2 comments:

Dustin said...

My $2400 PC laptop finally had hard drive failure last week. It was and probably still is a nice laptop, but sectors of the hard drive have been failing little by little over the last year, and it's finally hit it's limit. It's running out of places to reallocate memory, and so it is time to buy a new hard drive. I've had this computer since roughly 2006, so it has lasted in the 3 - 4 year range. Pretty good, considering the only work it has seen over the last 18 months has been checking email and letting the kids play games online at home.

So a new 80 GB hard drive is $90 (the old one was 40 GB) and $125 for labor and installation of all new software. The other option I was considering was buying a Mac Mini and new 22" monitor from newegg.com; I'd be up and running on a new Mac for home at less than $600 with a nice-sized screen and good computer for the kids and Alanna to play on.

Jeff said...

I've had my Acer laptop since July 2005...it's still running great...and no viruses to date either.

I may venture into podcasting on my blog in the future though...a Mac is tempting for my next comp purchase.