Sunday, May 10, 2009

Random Mother's Day Thoughts 2009

  • Happy Mother's Day! Especially to my lovely wife, who will spend this mother's day with five kids and one broken foot.
  • Chuck is probably saved (only to die a slow death in a bad time slot next season) but Dollhouse seems to be toast already. Friday-Sunday primetime is usually bad for network one-hour dramas, especially sci-fi. If either one of these shows went to a cable network (i.e. FX, TNT, USA, Sci-Fi, etc.) they might actually have a chance to tell their stories to smaller but loyal audiences. Networks make their Fall schedule announcements by the end of the month.
  • Shannon's broken foot came at a bad time, with both of us juggling multiple things in our schedule. Seems like this is a great time to step back and take a breather. Families today try to bite off more than we can chew anyway.
  • From a recent ESPN article, "Kansas City erects the $276 million Sprint Center to lure an NBA or NHL franchise. The building hosts circuses and motivational seminars." Ouch!
  • Over at Rotten Tomatoes, Wolverine is rating a dismal 37% and Star Trek has an outstanding 96% (so far). I'm still trying to wrap my head around that… and I'm a long-standing trekkie! But the dismal performance of the Star Trek franchise in the last 10 years has me jaded. I'm used to the idea of Star Trek existing far outside the mainstream.
  • I'm really enjoying the book The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes. Ultimately it's only a history book (about the Great Depression) but it's really well written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went and saw Star Trek and LOVED it! I am not a fan, but there wasn't much else we wanted to see. At one point I realized we were probably watching the ending scene and was shocked to look at my watch and see that we were 2 hours in. I was enjoying it so much the time just flew by.

And, we usually just watch everything on DVD, but this is one you should try and see on the big screen. I am not sure a TV would do it justice.

Dustin said...

Wow, well written article by the guy at ESPN about the "American way" of overspending. Well said!