Saturday, February 06, 2010

My Old MacBook

How long should a laptop last?

I know a lot of business laptops are swapped out every two years. Personal laptops ought to last three years or so.

But my MacBook is closing in on four years old, and it's finally starting to show some wear and tear. It seems like just yesterday, I got the thing. I'm very happy with how it's held up and it's still functioning, but I know I'm on borrowed time. I use it seven days a week, and often for several hours at a time. It's been on for about 43 or 44 months straight, traveling with me on vacation and between home and the office almost daily.

I suppose that sometime this year, I'll be shopping for a new laptop (I'll make this one last as long as possible). I had considered getting Apple's new tablet, the iPad, but that doesn't look like a replacement option quite yet. I did read an article this week that said as much as 90% of future personal computers will be "net books," low-powered, internet focused machines. If Apple's tablet evolves much in the next year or two, that might yet be an option.

No comments: