Thursday, April 08, 2010

iPad First Impressions

I dropped by the Apple Store in Leawood today and played with an iPad tablet computer for a few minutes.

My first impressions, hands-on:


Good:
  • Off-the-charts coolness.
  • Zippy fast and responsive.
  • Bright and loud, even in the bright light and noise of the busy Apple Store.
  • The reading app, iBooks, was jaw-dropping. It made me want to sit down and read; the best reading experience on a computer ever.
  • Web browsing looked fantastic.
  • I tried a few games (like Flight Control HD) and the productivity apps (Pages and Numbers) and they look better than I had anticipated.

Not so Good:
  • First thought: "this feels drop-able". My iPhone is saved from my clumsiness because I can wrap my fingers over the edge of more than one side, but the iPad is too big for that. I wouldn't want to walk around while using it (like a doctor or a salesperson might) but this could be fixed with the right case or skin.
  • Just a little too heavy, especially for a child or an older person with arthritis. A case would make this worse. Instructions should read: Sit down before using. Hence…
  • No comfortable way to use it while standing. This would rock if it were resting on your lap or on a table in front of you… but standing, chin tucked to my chest, holding it with one hand while tapping with the other just felt awkward to me.
  • Typing with one finger: ugh; the keyboard is too big. Typing with two hands: cramped but doable; the keyboard is too small. I would definitely want one of the physical keyboards if I had to do any significant amount of typing to do. but you could probably get fast with a two-index-finger henpecking technique.

Conclusion:
I'll be looking to replace my laptop this summer… with another laptop. This first version of the iPad gets 85% of the way there toward replacing my laptop; almost but not quite. Maybe the second or third generation will be right for me.

On the other hand, I could see this being the ultimate home-school student device. Mom has a computer with an iTunes account while the children each have an iPad for reading, research, tests, homework, etc. The versatile iPad ($499) is cheaper than a laptop ($600-1,200) and could also replace handheld gaming devices (Nintendo DSi, $170; Sony PSP, $250).

4 comments:

Dustin said...

They had Flight Control HD on their iPad?! How was it?

And heavy? For a child or an older person with arthritis? Really? Really?! It ways a pound and a half... Although I admit at a glance you might think it would be lighter than it is, I actually thought it was amazingly light, especially since it has a battery that will go 10-12 hours.

Thumper said...

Amazingly light? It's heavy. It's glass and metal surrounding a battery. Proportionally, it's twice as heavy as my laptop (I did the math, my macbook is .0367 pounds per cubic inch while the iPad is approx. .0600 pounds per cubic inch).

BTW, the iPhone 3Gs is on par with the iPad at .0578 lbs/in3.

You're just super-strong.

Dustin said...

Let's get this into perspective: It has a 12 hour battery life with a 10" screen, and it ONLY WEIGHS 1.5 pounds... That's a technically impressive feat.

It's not heavy, that's all in your head.

Thumper said...

You seem to be confusing technical impressiveness with gravity.

I'd still recommend that a child or someone with arthritis should remain seated to use this device for extended lengths of time. Surely most people will.