Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Wishlist

I was walking through the house the other day and spied a stack of books. Nice books. Books I recognized but haven't read. Books from my wish list! Jackpot!!!

"What are these?" I asked as I eagerly scooped them up, checking their condition and imagining a spot on my office bookshelves for them.

Shannon replied, "Oh, those are mine. Jane gave them to us. I'm going to read them; you can't have them yet."

That's what she thinks.

I'm a hopeless bibliophile. I love to collect books even more than I love to read them… and I love reading. Apart from the floor to ceiling bookshelves, I keep a stack of books in my office that I'm reading or re-reading. I have a similar stack at home and usually a book or two in my vehicle (warning: books left in cars tend to fall apart).

I've been keeping an Amazon wish list of (mostly) books that I update all the time (even from my phone). The new stack of books from our friend included three books from this list, which I gladly amended to reflect the new arrivals.

I enjoy seeing people's reading lists. Books are so formative and then they reflect back so much of who we are. I have books for work, books for fun, books to improve me, and books to inform me.

I'm desperate for my children to learn to love to read. I think Brennan and Tanner are slowly getting there.

No comments: