Thursday, August 12, 2010

There's an App For That

Here's a good article from lifehacker.com about the great free or cheap apps for the iPhone. I can vouch for several of these apps, including some that I use daily, like the Facebook app. Here's a list of some of the apps I like; almost all of which I got for free or when they were on sale for free.

Apps I use every day:
Maps finds things fast and gives directions using Google maps. I've noticed that when I'm out calling on people that the maps in Bing seem more accurate for residential addresses.
iBooks is a great way to read books but now I use it to store all the PDFs I get via email. I also download the PDF version of Ozark Christian College's "Compass" magazine and read it here.
Dictionary from Dictionary.com is the best dictionary and thesaurus in my opinion.
Bible by LifeChurch.tv is so useful that I've actually used it in church services before.

Apps I highly recommend:
• The IMDB app is a must have if you want to know what actor was in what movie.
TV Forecast gives you the next showing of your favorite TV shows.
Dragon Dictation
types what you speak and emails or texts it for you.
Pandora
is hands down the best internet radio station, tailored to your tastes.
Cyclemeter (pictured) is the best GPS bike computer I could ask for.
BlogPress; every time I blog a picture from my phone, this is the app for me.
Star Walk is the best night sky astronomy app by far. I use this app a lot more than I thought I would.
Convertbot is a great unit conversion tool for almost any measurement.

Apps I intend to use more in the future:
Evernote stores notes and pics online with optical character recognition. I intend to use this to store sermon notes and ideas.
Dropbox
sounds fantastic as a way to share files online between computers but I haven't had the need to use it a lot. I do the same thing with Google Docs everywhere but on my phone.

1 comment:

jayrod said...

Dropbox is amazing! It's extremely useful for keeping important folders with you all the time and is the best for sharing folders between two or more people.