Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Look Ma, No Hooks!

I get a clever idea about once a year, and this one isn't even original.  It's a magnetic key hook built into the switch plate cover next to the door going out to the garage.  I've been using it for a few weeks and it's the best key hook I've used.

Intructions:
1.  Buy two powerful rare earth magnets online.  I found these on Amazon which were perfectly sized and more powerful than anything Radio Shack had.
2.  Remove the switch plate cover and measure the space between the switch and the inside of the box.  This is where your magnet will live.
3.  Adhere the magnet to the backside of the switch plate.  I found that clear plastic packing tape worked really well to hold them in place.
4.  Replace the switch plate.  This might be a tight fit depending on how much tape you used.
5.  Throw your keys at the light switch and voila!

Tips and comments:
•  I found that the magnets 1/2 inch wide fit perfectly between the switch and the box.
•  I used two powerful N45 magnets.  Cheap little refrigerator magnets are not strong enough!
•  Powerful magnets are just a little scary.  Use gloves to avoid getting a nasty pinch.
•  In most cases, keys aren't magnetic.  But key rings are.  More key rings and fewer, heavy dangling things makes this trick work better.
•  Packing tape is a better solution than glue, I believe.
•  Screws, screwdrivers, and rare earth magnets = comedy.
•  This is just a cheap plastic switch plate.   I'd be interested in how a metal switch plate would work.
•  This setup can holds two sets of keys easily.

No comments: