Thursday, June 30, 2005

Random Thoughts 6/30/05

  • Former KU star Wayne Simeon was drafted by the Miami Heat, the only Jayhawk to get drafted. Miami is where Shaq plays. **drums fingers on table out of boredom** Back to college ball, three highly-touted freshmen are coming into the KU program; as blue-chip prospects, some say all three could start. Mario Chalmers, from Alaska, is my early favorite. He was perhaps the most exciting player in the McDonald's All-American game; he handled the ball, shot, drove, passed, played defense, it was great! He seemed like the only one taking the game seriously. He also won the three point contest. I like him a lot.
  • I just read Aslan's Call by Mark Eddy Smith. I enjoyed it but don't read this book if you've not read the Chronicles of Narnia yet. It's full of spoilers; it's supposed to be. The purpose of the book is to examine the stories in a spiritual light. And it does a good job of that. I just hope that some of those folks making the movie have some grasp of what these stories really mean. The least they can do is read this book first, to understand more fully and to be able to read between the lines with Christian eyes.
  • There are new military radios transmitting at 390 MHz. That wouldn't be a problem except that 390 MHz, which the military has owned for years, is the same frequency as garage door openers. If you live near a military base and your garage door opener quits working, or starts working on its own, you may have to buy a new system.
  • My kids are now on a lightning bug craze. Every night they insist on going out to catch lightning bugs. They let them go and re-catch them and let them go again. When I was that age, I caught them and smeared them across my shirt. Hmmm, good times, good times…
  • I've reached 1500 hits for my website. That's about 10 hits a day. Not a lot. But that's ok. Most of my readers are friends and family. If you read my blog, let me know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi...just dropping a line or two to show I was here.

Unknown said...

Thanks for cluing me in on the new book...spoiler warnings and all!
I pray for the success of the upcoming movie as well.

Those of us who would like to see Screwtape ride again, might also enjoy "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" by Randy Alcorn...the Homage to Jack's work is wonderfully obvious, and proved a marvelous antidote to John Cleese's last bit of historical/conceptual revisionism (not to say that even the "expurgated version" he so chafed at during his Monty Python years, wasn't a brilliant bit of acting in this case as well...but come on, John...removing the book's CENTRAL THESIS just to make yourself more comfortable with the character? A bit much, isn't it?)