Friday, January 26, 2007

Digital Ready or Not?

TV is going digital and I'm waiting as long as possible to get on board.


We have two televisions, the 11 year old TV that we bought when we got married, and a hand-me-down TV that we had repaired. The former sits in a cabinet and is only used periodically. The latter is our everyday, living room TV. Both are kind of quirky and don't work perfectly but they do the job. For now…

But broadcasters are switching over to digital broadcasts only and that means that my televisions (and my VCR) will soon be obsolete (Rep. Dennis Hastert and other politicians are insisting that the warning label above be placed on televisions like mine that are still sold in stores). I'm hoping to hold out as long as possible, both to make a more informed decision and to save money.

  • I want more information and personal recommendations on what type of TV to buy: plasma, DLP, LCD, etc. How well do these machines age? I'd like a TV to last me 10 years or more, especially if I drop $1000 or more on it.
  • I want to know for sure if my next DVD player should be Blu-ray or HD-DVD.
  • There are some fascinating advances in technology that could swing the market in a new, unexpected direction, so I'm waiting as long as I can before I commit. Several facets of television use could potential change including computer-to-television interface, TiVo, satellite television, wires v. wireless, and game systems, to name a few.
  • I want the prices to come down as far as possible as before I buy anything and I need time to save the money in advance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were buying an HDTV, I'd probably go with a tube tv like what Sony makes. You can get a 34" widescreen tube for about $1200. If not that, then a projection tv...for the long-haul, I'd avoid LCD/Plasma until they know exactly how long they last.

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo players are coming out...if I had to buy a player TODAY, I'd buy the combo...too much risk that one of them (Blu-Ray) will meet the same end as it's older brother Beta-Max.

Of course, I won't be buying an HD-tv or an advanced DVD player until I'm dEBT FREEEEEEEE but my house, have 3-6 mo of expenses, and am saving 15% in my 401(k)/Roth. :)