Wednesday, January 24, 2007

State of the State of the Union

Just a few notes on last night's speech:

  • The President did better than usual and much better than I was expecting in regard to his delivery. He was articulate, animated, and (as usual) exceedingly gracious.
  • The reception was not as cold as I thought it might be. I was anticipating boos.
  • Why didn't Bush explain the Iraq situation like this when he announced the surge?
  • What's up with Democratic representatives who lambaste the President behind his back but act buddy-buddy with him once a year during this speech? I don't get that. And if I was the President, I'm not sure I could accept their disingenuous glad-handing. I'd be too personally offended.
  • Isn't it interesting to see what Nancy "Blinky" Pelosi was unwilling to applaud to and what made her squirm uncomfortably? Every President ought to have a member of the other party seated behind him, just for entertainment's sake.
  • Senator James Webb from Virginia gave perhaps the most listenable opposition's response I've ever heard. But what did he mean when he said the Democrats wouldn't have a "precipitous withdrawal" but then compared the situation to Eisenhower's ending of Korea? What? Isn't North Korea still a serious problem 55 years later? I'm still not sure what good can come from the Democrats (lack 0f a) plan.
  • Webb's tone of animosity (basically threatening the President with impeachment) was more along the lines of what I was expecting. Snide, seething, hostility. Nice.

No comments: