Thursday, February 07, 2008

Is McCain Able?

I looked over my posts in the last three years that mention John McCain and, to my surprise, I've mentioned him in a positive light more often than in a negative light. I generally don't support the Senator and considered him about the fifth best candidate in the GOP primaries.

The chief problem with John McCain the presidential candidate is John McCain the Senator. If he had never been a Senator (creating a compromised track record of authoring and backing wrong-headed legislation) McCain might be really exciting amongst conservatives. He's an interesting character and holds some admirable positions. But McCain does have a track record. Like the other candidates this year, he's a mixed bag of positions with limited ability to win the office.

I genuinely believe Hillary/Obama would be horrible for this country, but McCain is only somewhat better. And if he can't win, his conservative credentials (or lack there of) are a moot point.

No comments: