Monday, February 11, 2008

Working the Lists, Part 2

It's getting harder and harder to finish out my lists of classic movies. When I started last summer, I had seen fifty-five of AFI's top-100 movies. Currently I've seen eighty-six from the 1998 list and eighty-one from the 2007 list (the lists overlap significantly so I've seen 101 out of 123 movies total). But in the last month I've only seen two or three films on the list.

A lot of these movies are not on TV regularly and are not available to rent in most video stores. I could buy the movies on Amazon but that seems like a waste of money for a movie I only want to view once. TCM has been my go-to source for most of the list, but I'm at the mercy of their schedule which may not include the few remaining films I'm after.

Titles on my yet-to-view list that I'm hunting for: Chinatown (1974), Charlie Chaplin's City Lights (1931) and The Gold Rush (1925), To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), and the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup (1933).

I'm also looking for films that I've seen but don't remember well or I've only seen in part, like Spartacus (1960), American Graffiti (1973), and In the Heat of the Night (1967). If I can't remember the gist of the movie, then I don't count that toward the list and I try to watch it again.

No comments: