Friday, February 06, 2009

Of Red Hats and Older Women

Shoot me now. Put me out of my misery.

Last night I endured the most painful, awkward, and embarrassing theater experience ever. Shannon and I went to see Hats, the musical revue of women over 50, at New Theatre Restaurant.

Dear Lord, make it go away.

The food was fantastic as usual. And we were seated at a table with a nice married couple our age (they were fantastic company; they reminded me a lot of the young, friendly, fun couples we know from church). But the show… oh, my… the show was a nightmare.

Now, I'll concede that I'm obviously not the target audience. If you're a woman over 50, a member of the Red Hat Society, and amused by old women using 4-letter words and talking about sex, this show is for you! The other 95% of us couldn't be more alienated. It was as bad as hearing your parents talk about their intimate affairs. NO! NO! NO!!! Get out of my head!!!!

But beyond that, the show wasn't very good. The acting was sub-par. The singing was hit-and-miss. The dancing… oh, the dancing… well, if eight or nine 60-year-old women shuffling about in negligees counts as a floor show… then I suppose, technically, there was dancing. But when you break the fourth wall, tell stale jokes, swear, and one of the (better) main characters was a puppet (!?!), then you've lost me. Sorry, Hats just wasn't very good.

I can name the few people I know that could see what I saw last night and not be scarred for life. Some of them would even enjoy it. Indeed, I saw several women last night (of the "grandma drinks to forget" variety) who seemed to be moved to tears by the production's finale.

Take my word for it, I was crying on the inside.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that I am sorry that you had to endure that, but I would be lying. I am thrilled you went so I could crack up picturing your discomfort. Oh to be a fly on the wall as Pastor Jared watched grandmas in negligees....

Unknown said...

He was sawing at his wrists with the butter knife throughout the show. He was by far more entertaining than the show!

Anonymous said...

Wow... "amused by old women using 4-letter words and talking about sex" “scarred for life” - “I saw several women last night (of the "grandma drinks to forget" variety)” pretty harsh stuff... and kind of sexist.

I think I'll actually go see it with my own two eyes before I form an opinion. I'll probably enjoy it immensely as I do all their productions even though I am under 50 and not a conservative...
but then again, I don't find older women to be anything to be ashamed of either.

Anonymous said...

Suicide is nothing anyone should be poking fun at. That comment was a little raw.

Thumper said...

Please don't assume that my use of an (extremely common) idiom has any reflection on how I feel about suicide. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how I actually feel about that subject or my personal experience with it.

Besides that, the idiom in question is a facetious request for a mercy killing, not suicide.

Anonymous said...

Flipping someone off is an "extremely common" gesture, too. That doesn't make it right. And mercy killing is okay? So, you're okay with Jack Kevorkian then? And if you have had a personal experience with it, then you should know how it affects those involved. And I wasn't even talking about the gesture itself (you can do whatever you want in your private life--we're all guilty of such things), but it was the raw comment posted about you sawing at your wrists. Would you say something like that with someone at the table who had lost a loved one to suicide? Maybe they weren't there, but perhaps they might be reading this blog.