Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lord of the Commercials

The people in charge of TNT network programming should be thrown to the orcs.

TNT ran a 12-hour Lord of the Rings high-def marathon last weekend, which I eagerly recorded to my DVR. I was so excited to watch the Lord of the Rings in HD, chipping away at it a little each evening, until I realized there would be commercial breaks.

Lots of commercial breaks.

Like long three or four minute breaks about every 10 minutes for 12 hours. My fast-forward-button finger has carpal tunnel syndrome! That's something like three solid hours of commercials. And guess what? The Lord of the Rings doesn't have natural stopping points every 10 minutes! The sudden interruptions ruined the epic story-telling mood. How are you supposed to switch gears from a life-and-death struggle against evil to a Sonic fast food commercial?

Ultimately, I'd be better off to break out my DVDs and watch them at a lesser resolution but without the interruptions. The LOTR is a classic story and the movies are now award-winning classics in their own right, but even a classic can have its mood spoiled.

No comments: