Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Jon & Kate Trainwreck

I've watched most of the episodes of "Jon & Kate Plus Eight." This interesting show has morphed from a show about a dysfunctional couple with eight small children into a series of commercials and promos for other TLC shows and sponsors. But now they've hit the ratings jackpot (almost 11 million viewers last night) by announcing that Jon and Kate are divorcing.

Jon & Kate have always frustrated me with the way they've acted. Kate treats Jon like a child and Jon often acted as one. As a minister, I saw an urgent need for counseling four years ago and this only got worse with each new season. I've actually quit watching certain episodes because I couldn't stomach the sight of how these adults were treating each other.

Here's a great article about the issue from Crosswalk.com: Jon and Kate, It's Not Too Late.

In my book, if Jon is choosing to leave then he's in the wrong. He is selfishly choosing to break his marriage vows (which perhaps he's already broken if rumors are true). But if Jon has crossed the line, then Kate drove him 99% of the way there. You just can't publicly humiliate and emasculate a man like she does unapologetically. You can't talk down to him and control him and make him quit his job and take orders like that. Jon never stood up for himself until he finally stood up and divorced her.

And if I hear either of them justify their actions by saying their doing everything "for the kids," I'm going to go apoplectic. If you were thinking solely of the kids, you wouldn't have invited a television crew into your home, making yourselves a public spectacle. Now Jon and Kate are accused of exploiting their children and ruining their lives in the pursuit of fame and celebrity (and $70,000 per episode). And no matter how you cut it, a divorce is not "good" for these small children.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I guess I don't agree that Kate pushed him to it. If you don't like how you are treated, do something about it. I have watched the show since the beginning, and yes, she was quite controlling and belittling, however, he didn't exactly treat her well either. He just did it in a more passive way. I'm not saying that either are more to blame, but a father of 8 (or any really) has NO business hanging out at bars with girls no matter what his marriage is like at the time. Kate has since admitted that she was wrong for being so controlling to him, but dang when you have that many kids you have to have to have some order, and he was just a bit too laid back. Just my two cents. I have been stewing about this since I bawled watching it last night. I just feel bad for the babies..

Anonymous said...

If you all think they would walk away from $70K an episode to get a divorce you are too gullable. It's all fake and they'll work it out so that they can still air the show. Watch and see!

~Chad

Thumper said...

Chad, interesting (though calloused and jaded) premise.

Jenny, I agree: Jon is a total wuss. That said, Kate's disposition is inexcusable and will poison a relationship 99% of the time.

Dustin said...

I'm about half-way there with Chad: I think that they'll probably stay divorced though, but they'll work something out to keep the show going strong. I certainly don't think the whole thing is fake.

As far as Jenny's comment, they are both equally to blame, but I tend to agree with Jared. Jon's actions are not justified, but Kate played a large part in his discontent.

Anonymous said...

Thats just sad!!!