Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Michael Bay Is Twelve Years Old

I read one reviewer who said that nothing's easier than driving through the plot holes of a Michael Bay film, so I won't belabor the point. But here's an interview I did with myself early this morning:

Me: So, Jared, what're you up to?

Myself: I'm driving back from watching Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Me: Isn't it like 3:30 in the morning?!

Myself: Yes, it was "midnight" showing. My friend Mike took me to a sold-out showing (you're the greatest, Mike!).

Me: So what was the film about?

Myself: I'm really not sure. It was a real challenge to follow what was happening to whom and why? I'm just not sure. But robots were fighting each other and military stuff was blowing up. There was a lot of that; very loud and explosive. In fact, I'd say it was about a two and half hour long explosion… with robots. Oh, and Michael Bay isn't good with geography, so just ignore any information related to an actual location; you won't need it anyway.

Me: Were the robots convincing?

Myself: Still not sure… but they were impressive. But most of the time it was a closeup of one silver robot wrestling with another silver robot and you couldn't tell which was which.

Me: Was it kid-friendly?

Myself: Not unless you like your grade-schooler cussing and lusting after half-naked coeds like a frat boy. If mom and dad are okay with exposure to that stuff, then yeah, this movie is perfect for the pre-adolescent mind. My theory is that Michael Bay is himself only about 12 or 13 years old and makes his movies with those sensibilities.

Me: So were you embarrassed to see it?

Myself: I was okay with leaving under the cover of darkness. With sunglasses. And a hoodie.

Me: Do you recommend it?

Myself: An edited version with less cursing and less slow-motion, half-naked girlfriends would be a really fun movie experience. It was so close, but NOT family friendly to the 12 and under crowd. It was a midnight showing of a PG-13 movie, yet parents were there with little kids. *sigh*

Me: Get some sleep. Thanks for the heads up.

No comments: