Friday, June 12, 2009

Random Thoughts 6/12/09

  • We're getting ready for church camp. I love camp and the work that we do there. But at the same time, the stress involved with the administrative part of doing camp has me just about worn out. I long for the days when I could just show up and "do camp."
  • The G.I. Joe film, set to release this August, has purportedly tested as the worst film in Paramount history. The director is Stephen Sommers, who wrote and directed the The Mummy (1999) but hasn't done much since (other than five more Mummy-related films). Rumors are that Sommers was fired and locked-out of the editing room. As a childhood fan of the G.I. Joe franchise, my opinion is that the trailers for the film look unfamiliar, corny, and unwatchable. It looks like some hack came and ruined a beloved property, which makes the rumors easy to believe.
  • On a brighter film note, director Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that Hugo Weaving (Elrond), Andy Serkis (Gollum) and Ian McKellen (Gandalf) will reprise their roles in the upcoming Hobbit. The Hobbit is set to open a year from December.
  • Geek Dad suggests 10 Tips for Turning Your Kids into Trekkies.
  • Best article I've read in a long time on the decline of America: Read Mark Steyn here.
  • We're getting very close to hiring a new Youth Minister. The Elders have been working on this since last November (7 months!) but now there's lots of movement toward getting somebody in place. I won't introduce him now–it's not formally finalized yet–but I'm so happy that it looks imminent! Technically, we've never had a youth minister at WCCC, as all the former staff have taken their turns doing youth ministry part-time. But now… let's just say I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments: