Thursday, September 24, 2009

Learning Some Basketball

I had the older boys at the church a few days ago. So I decided to use the time to teach them some basketball. I checked them on their dribbling and showed them some passes. But the basket was calling to them so I showed them how to do right handed layups.

I adjusted the basket up to 10 feet and showed them what I was doing step by step. Then I lowed the goal to about 7 feet and let them try. We went back and forth, raising and lowering the goal as I made little corrections.

Brennan got it fast. He was fairly coordinated and showed some instinct for it. Tanner, on the other hand, was just a little too young. He enjoyed it, but the hand-eye coordination just isn't there yet. In contrast to Brennan finesse, Tanner does have more raw power. Tanner's also more easy-going about it all.

I thought they both did great when you consider that they were playing with full size, men's basketballs. At this age, I don't drill them and they don't play youth sports. We don't need the extra stress and the boys don't need "Coach Dad" taking all the fun out of it quite yet.

Tanner also spent quite a bit of his time chasing the ball. He kept losing it and the ball would roll down the length of the parking lot. That sweet kid must have chased it down five times.

Here's a video, watch Tanner in the background:

No comments: