Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Noticer by Andy Andrews

The Noticer
Sometimes, All A Person Needs Is A Little Perspective
By Andy Andrews

A kind but mysterious stranger visits the lives of people in Orange Beach, Alabama, at critical moments in their lives. He gives them what he calls "perspective" and it saves their marriages, their relationships, and their very lives. Then, as suddenly as he comes into their lives, "Jones" disappears again. Who is he? He's your best friend, even if you've never met him before.

I wasn't sure what to make of the character, "Jones," at first. Was he a normal person or something more? Was this a character that I would or could accept? Thanks to Andrews' skillful writing, the character was endeared to me almost as quickly as he was to the townspeople of Orange Beach.

Jones approaches each individual at a critical moment and speaks with authority and compassion. It's tough love, but the difficult questions he asks are full of wisdom and kindness. This is where Andrews, the storyteller, finally got me. The loving counsel provided to each individual is so compelling that I found myself reading and re-reading Jones' interactions with each individual. My heart broke for these characters and I loved Jones for loving them enough to intervene.

Through the course of the book, Jones began to take on an almost Aslan-like quality, which is saying something for an old white-haired homeless man, but it is highest praise from this reader.

No comments: