- Mitt Romney looked like a president, sounded like a president, and acted like a president. Right or wrong, this is his race to lose.
- Michelle Bachmann did great but she's still only a congresswoman. I like her a lot and she did well but I hesitate to say that she could carry a general election. Like Sarah Palin, her faith and rock-ribbed conservatism may be more polarizing than her personality is likeable.
- Herman Cain also has a problem that Palin shares, his accent works against him and makes him sound less educated/intelligent than he really is. It's too bad; he's honest, interesting, and capable.
- Ron Paul doesn't mind a nuclear Iran?! Oh good grief; I guess we'll just cross our fingers. The libertarian deep down inside me wants to like this guy, and he says a lot of good things, but c'mon!!!
- Rick Santorum, a guy I generally like, just looked small and unimportant. I fear he's losing traction but if he gets out now before it gets ugly, he could make a great VP candidate.
- Newt Gingrich also seems completely unelectable. He may be the smartest person in the room but he doesn't come off as trustworthy to me. Last night he seemed temperamental.
- Tim Pawlenty looked terrible attacking the other candidates. Ugh. Surely, he's about done.
- Jon Huntsman is the RINO of the group and is running for the moderate John McCain role this time around. Even when he claims conservative positions, I'm hesitant to believe him.
Friday, August 12, 2011
Random GOP Debate Thoughts 8/12/11
I watched the Republican debate in Iowa last night (twice) and, in a nutshell, here's what I thought of the candidates ranked from best to worst: