Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA

We need to strike a balance here but this isn't it.

I want to protect copyrighted information.  If I create something, I don't want my work stolen so that someone else can money off of it or so that I can't.  But at the same time we already have many laws in place to protect intellectual property.  The SOPA legislation (Stop Online Piracy Act) is just a ridiculous power grab by Hollywood that will go down in history alongside the attempt to ban VCR's and MP3 players.

This law could force facebook to censor the video of your kid's birthday party because you sang "Happy Birthday" or get bloggers like me sued for linking to a video that contains a pop song.  And that would be the first step…

If you're illegally downloading a Hollywood movie online… it's already illegal and you should stop.  If you're stealing music online, it's already illegal and you should stop.  But SOPA won't prevent these things, it'll just shut down YouTube and blogs where these things might happen.

Watch this informational video:



PROTECT IP / SOPA Breaks The Internet from Fight for the Future on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The Grass Is Not Always Greener" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many more new visitors here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/01/sites-to-see_20.html