Monday, August 29, 2005

Fantasy Football

My fantasy football league had its draft yesterday afternoon.

24 hours later, I feel pretty good about how I did. Maybe the best I've ever felt after a draft. However, considering that I usually do well with players I don't like, shouldn't I be more concerned?

[For you football geeks out there, we have 20 teams in two conferences with seperate drafts. It's a basic yardage league, no defense, no negative points. We play for a trophy, no cash awards. I got Edgerrin James, Kevin Jones, Randy Moss, and Torry Holt with my first four picks. I've not had a draft that rich since I played in an 8 team league, way back in the day.]

We have a clear ulterior motive in doing this hobby. Our purpose is to create common ground for men (or women, we have two) in church, whether new to church or not. It provides an opportunity for a guy to talk to other people at church and build relationships in an environment they might otherwise find intimidating. In the 9 or 10 years I've been running a church-based fantasy league, I've seen wonderful results. It's hard to measure, but most spiritual (and relational) things are.

No comments: