Sunday, December 18, 2005

Casing the Brigade Colors

The new Arena Football team in Kansas City, the Brigade, revealed their new uniforms Friday. My first thought: Carolina Panthers. Hey it could be worse.


The Brigade starts playing early next year and I've heard that arena football games are a blast to watch live. It would be a pretty cool event, especially for the youth group or something.

--

I've enjoyed reading Paul Lukas' articles about sports uniforms called "Uni Watch" (look on ESPN.com or slate.com). He notices a lot of the trends, historical details, and little details about uniforms that I've always noticed too. For example, here's a bit about what the referees wear in the NFL:
In 1941 the league switched to baseball caps and, interestingly, a color-coded system of vertically striped jerseys: The referee's stripes were black and white while the head linesman wore red and white, the umpire wore orange and white, and the field judge donned green and white. Everyone went to the standard black-white design in 1945, the same year officials began wearing uniform numbers, and the league's basic officiating uni has remained relatively constant since then.

I think it's interesting how teams put their outfits together and how some teams never change their look while other teams follow whatever is the latest fad. I appreciate the teams that are more conservative and traditional (Chiefs, Colts, and Packers) and I like the reasonably retro look (Giants, Jets or the powder-blue Chargers). I'm not a big fan of uniforms that are designed by shoe companies (Broncos) or the all black look (Jags, Ravens, Falcons, Saints). In fact, it's usually a bad idea to match your dark colored jersey with the same color pants (are you listening Eagles and Seahawks?).

But who gets my vote for the "Stevie Wonder Ugliest NFL Uniform of the Year" award? (Drum roll please…)

And the Stevie goes to… the Cincinnati Bengals.


Yuck. Nice team, but the uniforms… c'mon. Really now… make it stop. The whole thing is a bit much, but somebody was asleep at the wheel when it came to the sides of this uniform. I mean look at it. Can you say train wreck?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reference to the Bengals uniforms, and coming from someone who has no good taste in clothing, I'll say I expected that. My wife and I both LIKE the Bengals uniforms, although I generally agree with you about the retro look that teams like the Jets and Giants have. Most of the time, less is more... keep it simple with the colors. Here's another good, simple football uni design-- KU.

Anonymous said...

True KU does have a good uniform for football...Maybe someday they will get a real team to fill 'em.