Monday, December 19, 2005

Random Thoughts 12/19/05

  • I voluntarily exiled myself to the couch last night. There are rumors that I may snore just a little, maybe once or twice per night (I've never heard it myself). But I wanted my wife, who has a severe case of pregnancy, to get a good night's rest. It wasn't bad and I was quite cozy, at least until Eli (not quite two years old) woke me up with a slobbery head butt (it was supposed to be a kiss) and a poke in the eye (look Mom, I found Daddy!).
  • The President has seen a noticeable uptick in his approval ratings today. A successful election last week in Iraq and some very clear speeches (three in as many days) and people are realizing that a lot of the criticism of President Bush has just been uninformed people venting some hate. He has a plan and always has had one. And more importantly it's working and at an historic pace. News flash: the President is not greatest evil out there.
  • I've got my gift for the Sunday School party we're having Christmas morning. And yes, it has a Jayhawk on it! Remember, $10 or less and make it something you would want to go home with yourself.
  • Hornets, Penguins and Magic, oh my! There's a good chance that Kansas City will get an NHL or NBA team in a few years. The Penguins (hockey) and the Magic (basketball) are both unhappy in their current cities. The New Orleans Hornets are in a rough situation and may move (make note that our new Arena Football team is actually the old New Orleans team moved and renamed). The 18,500 seat Sprint Center opens in the fall of '07.
  • The NFL's Saints may have played their last game in the state of Louisiana. The Saints players made note of this possibility after the game Sunday and the NFL, which has been saying all the right things up to this point, actually makes a decision in January. Considering that the NFL has said that it will not expand beyond 32 teams in the forseeable future but also claims it will put a team in LA within a few years, there does seem to be a strong possibility that the Saints will move. I kinda hope that they do. Nothing against New Orleans, but there were several strikes against that city before it got flattened by Katrina.
  • Don't forget caroling Tuesday night at 6pm.
  • Ok, I'm starting to think this Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahma-what's-his-face, might be working for the CIA. Last week he said the Jewish Holocaust was a myth and now he's just declared western-style music illegal in Iran; is this guy trying to start a revolution? The ban ought to go over really well with the millions of Iranians under 30 who have DVD players and iPods. The average age there is 24. Talk about a leader alienating both his own people and foreign countries. Good grief.

No comments: