Saturday, December 03, 2005

Deipnon

We had a wonderful dinner tonight at church. We called it Deipnon (Dape-non), which is Greek for banquet. We invited folks to an elegant, candlelight (at most tables), dinner with a 30-piece orchestra playing. It was really nice!

Each host came and decorated their own table before the event and some were really extravagant with the finest silver and china and long candles. Other tables were bright and festive (again with candles). Our table… not so much. My wife and mother decorated our table with my grandmother's dark red dinnerware but when the lights were dimmed, we were left in the dark. Sitting at the only table without candles, I considered canvassing the room to find a cigarrette lighter but eventually our eyes adjusted enough to distinguish the plates from the table covering. By using our fingers we could find the food, so not everything was lost.

Mom, of course was oblivious to this. She had already enjoyed her 1.5 bites of food before the lights went out and our complaints were lost on her as she "zoned" during a stirring "Jingle Bells" medley. Now during Bach, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky she was talking ninety miles a minute, but roll out "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and the rest of us are hanging mid-sentence until the song is over.

Nevertheless, it was a great dinner and the Henry's and Knight's did a fantastic job putting it together. I can't wait until next year.

If only I could've found my fork.


Update: Ok, I confess my view of this may have been a little skewed. I was just bitter about the candles. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought our table was beautiful!! Grandma's pretty deep red dishes stood out dramatically from the ivory tablecloth! (even in the dimly-lit room)

I will concede that candles (next year) will add a little ambience (and light!).

It was a wonderful evening and I did enjoy the music, but I think you've stretched your "journalistic license" a bit!!