Saturday, December 24, 2005

Random Christmas Eve Thoughts

  • I went to see Craig before his foot surgery Friday. I walked in the surgery center and told the nurse I was looking for Craig and that I was his minister. She leaves to check on them and tells Sonya and Craig, "There's a guy here looking for you. He says he's your minister but he looks like a bouncer." Well… uh… that's a first. Usually, people only protest that I'm too young. Maybe I need to smile more.
  • We're opening presents today with the boys. Brennan and Tanner are pretty excited but Elijah doesn't seem to get it yet. I made a little five-day countdown calendar for the boys and we've been crossing out each day until Christmas. That helped focus them a little on the idea that Christmas is a particular day and not just whenever it's snowy outside.
  • Dustin got to go to the Chiefs game today. It's 45 degrees and raining; hope he has fun.
  • We have the Christmas Eve "Carols and Candlelight" tonight and church tomorrow (with the gift exchange during Sunday School). My in-laws are coming over after church for presents and enchiladas and we're doing my family's Christmas on Monday. With all the visiting, gift opening, and eating, I may not do a lot of blogging during that time, but you never know.
  • I heard that all the major retail stores have finally been pressured into saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". I wonder if we've really gained anything? Businesses are still just trying to turn a profit (and what do you expect?) and now Christians have bullied a lot of secular people during the season of peace and joy. Did that help the cause of evangelism? Does the non-religious Jewish store clerk who is forced to say Merry Christmas against her will now more inclined toward Christ or less so? As a minister, I'm not sure all this fuss was worth it. Oh, well.
  • Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy your family and your church family! Wear a warm sweater and eat good food. Play a board game and take a good nap. Don't worry about the stuff but enjoy the relationships. God bless!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Merry Christmas to all of you Altics out there. Hope it is a good one!

We're enjoying family and church family and new friends in a new culture....but, no thank you to the sweater idea, I'd suffocate! You'll just have to wear one for me.

We love you all!

Anonymous said...

Actually, the weather was high 30's and drizzly and windy at the game, but it wasn't as bad as it sounded-- we had good lower-level seats under the upper deck, so we stayed mostly dry and out of the wind. It also helps the time to pass when we're winning... Props to Cordell for inviting me to the game! GO CHIEFS!!