Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Church Fathers

An old college classmate, Adam G., started a new blog and on it he posted one of those personality "tests" where you answer a short quiz and it gives you a label and a supposed description of your personality. Usually these things have all the accuracy and insight of a Chinese restaurant place mat, relying on vague generalities and flattery to win you over. However, this one I liked.





You’re St. Justin Martyr!


You have a positive and hopeful attitude toward the world. You think that nature, history, and even the pagan philosophers were often guided by God in preparation for the Advent of the Christ. You find “seeds of the Word” in unexpected places. You’re patient and willing to explain the faith to unbelievers.


Find out which Church Father you are at The Way of the Fathers!




This description is fairly close to how I see myself. I wouldn't have necessarily made the connection to Justin Martyr but I certainly feel the rest of it is applicable – or at least I'd like it to be. The part about God guiding history to prepare for Christ is something I feel strongly about. And I am finding "seeds of Word" in unexpected places such a movies, pagan culture, and all levels of human relationship/conflict. Our God designed this universe and his fingerprints are all over it. Finally there's nothing I feel more passionate about than explaining the Faith.

Admittedly the quiz will probably fail if the user doesn't know Church history fairly well. But I thought it was the first time in a long time that a test singled out specific traits that I recognize. The last time that happened might have been the Myers-Briggs test, which labeled me INTJ.

2 comments:

another71.com said...

Looks like the author of the site was showing off a little.

Anonymous said...

...and Pitch or Ditch is Jeff E, by the way...I was logged in through my blog...