Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad

Today is my dad's 60th birthday. We spent the afternoon with him Sunday and had a cake for him, though no family get-together can adequately express how much we love him.

Dad has been the ideal grandfather for my boys and a loving father (in-law) for my wife. He's a lot like my maternal grandfather, Grandpa Clark, whom I believe Dad has emulated in several ways. Because of my Dad, my boys see:
  • an incredible servant.
  • the finest example of selflessness.
  • the epitome of the Protestant work ethic.
  • a loving grandfather, who plays with them and knows each of them personally.
  • their grandfather in worship and at work in the church.
  • the faithfulness in a long lasting marriage (going on 40 years).
  • the respect of their father for his father.
Dad, we love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Richie!! I love you more than words can say. I hope you had a pleasant day. 60 WOW you're old ;)

Anonymous said...

Dad-- Happy Birthday! 60! Wow, you've aged really well... I should know, I'm the one that aged you.

I believe Jared hit the nail on the head, which would be a first for him if it were literal! I couldn't have said it better, seriously- he has a knack with words (but that's okay because I got all the good-looks).

Anyway, I really struggle trying to adequately put into words the gratefullness I feel for the consistantly selfless things you do. You give and give and give, never expecting anything in return other than to have me do the same for my family. I had a mentor tell me, "Give until it hurts... and then give some more," but I struggled understanding what that meant or what it looked like. Only a little time had passed before I realized it was right in front of me! It's who you are and I've never known you differently!

When I was out of town last year, I came home to find that you had replaced a flat tire on my car... AND replaced the other bald tire... AND changed the oil... AND filled the tank with gas...and probably other stuff too. But you did one more thing that made the biggest difference to me-- you left a simple note on the dashboard. I still have that note today and I'll never lose it, because it shows exactly what kind of a person you are.

It said, "Work hard and provide for your family. Love, Dad".

I reset my cell phone so it reads that on the screen every time I turn it on.

Thanks for being my mentor. You help me understand how a husband and father should be.

Love,
Dustin