Monday, September 17, 2007

Fantasy Mediocrity

I'm in two fantasy football leagues and I'm 1-1 in both of them. I've alternately had a great week in one and bombed out in the other, two weeks in a row and I don't really see an end in sight. The way this season is adding up, we may all go .500. But that's fantasy football–there's a lot of (bad?) luck involved.

In a competitive fantasy league, you can expect the best teams to win two-thirds of their games and the worst teams to win one-third. Luck is such a large factor that you just don't see many teams outside of these margins. In fact, when a guy boasts of being undefeated three years in a row and a seven-time fantasy champion, I'm immediately suspicious: "So you play in a league with your grandmother, a 1st grader, and a guy in a coma, hmmm…"

Over the course of a dozen seasons, I've managed to win about 65% of my games and I've never won the championship. That's okay though, I enjoy it and I know, barring luck, that's about as well I could have done.

No comments: