Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fifteen Pound Cat on my Chest

My cat has a weird neediness.

At night, I sometimes dream about being crushed under a car, trapped in an avalanche, or pinned under a boulder and wake up to my house cat lying on my chest. Kala weighs a good fifteen pounds and insists on being near me while I sleep. Though suffocating, it's still better to have her sitting or lying on me than standing. Cats walk on their toes and it's excruciating to have an obese feline tip-toe across your ribcage.

She also likes to sit on my lap while I watch television and she's absolutely pathological about sitting on the edge of the tub, between the two shower curtains, while I shower.

Frankly, it's all a bit much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with our cat Sadie....she loves to sleep right next to me. Although she isn't obese, she is fit enough to enjoy waking me up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water...and fast enough that I can't smack her when she does it. The joys of cats!!

Jen said...

Hey, atleast she didn't pee on you in your sleep because you forgot to leave the door open!! Yes, that has happened to me. Twice.

Jenny