Monday, May 12, 2008

Stupid TV

Viewership of network television is dropping fast as more adults find alternate activities to do. Video games and the internet compete with cable television and countless alternate activities to steal away viewers from the big three (plus one) networks. The writers strike was tough blow to the industry as viewers found other things to do during the 100-day hiatus.

In any given season, I have a few choice sitcoms and dramas that I watch. And I still have a few that I'm really loyal to, though most just aren't worth the time anymore.

  • American Idol has reached a point that I can't watch it anymore. It's not that the contestants are bad; I've just lost all desire to watch it anymore. I was already fast-forwarding through 90% of the results show, anything Paula Abdul or Ryan Seacrest had to say, and the first 10 seconds of Simon Cowell (the part where the audience boos him no matter what he says). I just don't care anymore. :-(
  • That was the best season of Survivor ever! Survivor Micronesia got better as it went along, peaking just as the ratings dropped off in the second half of the season. There were multiple injuries, multiple blindsides, and great episodes all around. If every season of Survivor was like this one, the show would run forever. But fewer and fewer people are watching each year.
  • Fox hates me. The Fox network has a long history of programming shows that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole and canceling any kind of show that I enjoy (Firefly, Drive, etc.). Not only does the network set new standards for frivolous drivel, but now they've gone and canceled the one show I did like, Back to You. Maybe another network will pick up the Kelsey Grammar sitcom. Speaking of Firefly, Joss Whedon's next drama, the spy-show Dollhouse, is also airing on Fox. So I fully expect it will probably be an edgy and exciting drama that gets canceled in less than one season. Yes, I'm that pessimistic.
  • Scrubs got canceled by NBC, which has always seemed to hate the show. They moved it around and wouldn't promote it, even though Scrubs' ratings were up 17% since the strike. So why can some absolutely worthless reality shows get a chance, season after season, but a clever and popular sitcom must scratch to survive? Oh well, one man's junk is another man's treasure – ABC will air 18 new episodes of Scrubs next season.
  • Jim, just propose to her already! It's killing us (in a good way).
  • Jericho, the story of a post-apocalyptic Kansas town that didn't seem very post-apocalyptic or Kansan, is dead. CBS canceled it. Again. I didn't watch the second season, it was just too brain-dead for me. It became a conspiracy theory soap opera. No thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

idol is actually great this season. mostly thanks to paula.

Thumper said...

That probably zeros in on why you watch… to see the train wreck!