Monday, May 12, 2008

Playing With Sharp Objects

How young is too young to use a sharp knife? In some cultures, children are allowed to handle and use dangerous tools from the time they can walk. I received my first pocketknife on my seventh birthday (I cut my thumb but lived). I let Elijah, when he was three, play with a keychain Leatherman tool while he was in the hospital (he pinched himself but also lived). Recently, to much criticism, I let Brennan (7) and Tanner (6) use my pocketknife under my supervision (no injuries to report).

So what do you think? When is it too early to let a child handle dangerous tools (i.e. knives, guns, power tools, lawn mowers, etc.)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a particular age that one should be allowed to use a pocketknife. I think you know when one of your boys is responsible enough to understand the danger of a sharp knife.

I carried a pocketknife from about the same age as you and I never cut myself until I was an adult.

Chad

Thumper said...

I feel my older two (6 and almost 8) could handle it. They may cut themselves, but I'm not sure that a few cuts are reason enough to not let them use a knife.

I've also taught these two to shoot a .22 rifle and a handgun (with my help).

I'm honestly far more leery of power tools that seem harmless but can cause sudden, severe injury when your guard is down.