Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Grind

In ministry there are seasons of weariness. This is one of them.

I'm about halfway through a four-week spell with no days off. I normally work six days a week anyway but I just keep missing my day off with various obligations; it's just the way it happened to work out. The last day I had off was Memorial Day and, with VBS, Church Camp, and other needs, I won't get another free day until June 23. That will be about my fourth day off in two months.

I'm not meaning to complain too loudly – I set my own hours, I can work from home, and I have a lot of flexibility to arrange my work schedule around my family's needs. And I enjoy working. Being a minister is a diverse and interesting calling and I really miss it when I'm away from it for too long.

But I realize that I'm exceedingly tired today. And I was tired yesterday. My physical and emotional health is suffering a bit too. I just need to get through next week and the next two weekends and then Monday the 23rd I'll sleep for like 15 hours.

Nobody's ever happy with how much the preacher works. Many think he works too little. Some think he works too much. Both are probably convinced that its sinful or shameful or both. In the end, a preacher must answer to his Lord. It's not a job as much as it is a calling, not what he does but what he is.

[Update: I just checked my calendar and I see that I have a counseling appointment on the 23rd. Of course.]

No comments: