Friday, June 06, 2008

Whipped Cream up my Nose

At Vacation Bible School the kids were raising money for missions by putting their dollars in competing buckets decorated with pictures of Jay-rod and me. The incentive was that whichever bucket received the most money, that minister got a pie in the face.

Well the children (and some of the adults) were ecstatic. We raised about $450 for missions or just about a dollar per child per day. Of course the whole thing was rigged so that we would both end up with a pie in the face, so we hammed it up.

We announced a tie but Jay-rod interrupted and added one last nickel to my bucket forcing me to the "gallows." The kids who wanted him (or both of us) to get a pie went nuts at this point. But I refused to sit down, so Jay-rod handed the pie to Shannon, who was also on stage, and forced me to sit by grabbing me from behind. When Shannon went to throw the pie, I ducked to the side and she hit Jay-rod full in the face. I jumped up and celebrated while Jay-rod recovered, grabbed the second pie, tapped me on the shoulder, and got me in the face. The children went insane with glee!



Actually a few of them were not impressed. Jay-rod's two year old daughter cried when her daddy got a pie in the face. And my four year old, Elijah, had a similar reaction; he didn't like it at all. But the others were thrilled.

Shannon tried to be careful about hitting Jay-rod, because of his glasses, but Jay-rod nailed me. I had whipped cream up my nose and in my ears and I had to shower to get it out of my hair. The kids were coming up to me and trying to swipe a finger through one of the dollops located all over my chest and shoulders. All I could think of was ice cream… but not as cold.

It was good - and I don't care for whipped cream.

No comments: