Saturday, July 17, 2010

Random Thoughts 7/17/10

  • Happy Anniversary to my all-time favorite sister and her husband. Craig and Sonya have been married for 17 years.
  • Shannon is talking about getting some part-time work at the YMCA… check that, I mean "the Y." "The Y" is now officially the correct way to refer to the YMCA, matching what most people have been calling it for years. It also has new logos and a new brand strategy for the first time in 43 years.
  • Great video here of a flight from Kansas City (MCI) to Chicago. Filmed on an iPhone 4. Hey Dustin, which runway does the plane take off from? I know; do you? In fact, I could guess the destination before I read it.
  • Here is the smartest and coolest jet ever, the increasingly expensive F-35. More here, and here.
  • Looks like Microsoft's version of the iPhone, Windows Phone 7, isn't so great.
  • Have you heard the iPhone Antenna Song?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only can I tell which way they're going, I can tell you the runway name/heading. I was able to tell by looking at the screenshot of the video even before I hit PLAY. Although, it wasn't hard, and anyone could do it with no knowledge of aviation or even if they'd never been to KCI. The dead giveaway for me was the AA overhaul base and the red/white water tower in the screenshot:

They're headed due east, using runway 9.

But if you didn't recognize these clues, you would know they were taking off to the east because after takeoff, the camera (obviously on the left side of the plane) is looking directly into the setting sun after a 90° left turn, shortly after takeoff.

But even if you couldn't tell that, and you at least have a little airport knowledge, then you could slow down the video at the beginning. You can clearly see the signs in the grass at the runway threshold indicating that they are on taxiway Charlie and runway 9.

-Dustin

Anonymous said...

~ You know how I know you are an airplane geek?? ...read above!!