Friday, July 09, 2010

This Year's Emmy Awards

I don't put a lot of stock in film and television awards (Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, et al.) but I find irresistible the trivia they produce. How many nominations? How many awards by certain directors or actors? Who was snubbed? It gets interesting, even if it is much ado about nothing.

This year's Primetime Emmy nominations are out with a few interesting notes:
  • HBO's war series, "The Pacific" had 24 nominations for virtually every conceivable category, especially in writing, directing, and technical achievements.
  • "The Tonight Show" got four nominations, all for Conan O'Brien and not for Jay Leno.
  • "Glee" had 19 nominations but I don't care. I refuse to watch. I just can't do it. The same goes for "Dancing with the Stars," which had 9 nominations.
  • "Mad Men" leads dramatic series with 17 nominations.
  • Steve Carell has his seventh nomination but hasn't won yet.
  • Piper, Ks native Eric Stonestreet was nominated for best supporting actor in a comedy.
  • Of the twelve series nominated for best comedy or best drama, I only watch two. Both of which I came to late but I was drawn to reports of excellent writing which I believe to be true. The two are "The Office" and "Mad Men."
  • "Castle" has three nominations.
  • "Dirty Jobs," "Deadliest Catch," and "Mythbusters" all got nominations.
  • Every actor on "The Pacific" got snubbed.

No comments: